Monday, September 12, 2016

I Was So Jet Lagged But Now I'm Better

(This post is from August 31st, 2016. I accidentally deleted the post, but was able to find it again and re-publish. So now it'll just be here, I guess. :)

I’M HERE!

I’m here I’m here I’m here, I’m in Paris, I’m HERE!

Okay, so a ton of stuff happened the first day I was here, which I will do my best to describe but probably will not be able to do full justice to. The plane ride was probably my least favorite part of the experience yesterday, for two reasons: one, because I got a bad migraine partway through and had to spend about a half hour huddled down with a sleep mask over my eyes and my hands over my ears so my head didn’t feel like it was going to explode, and two, because it meant that about nine hours of my day were stolen out from under me.

Yes, I know that that’s how time zones work, but I really was not prepared for how weird everything would feel. I got a little sleep on the plane, but not enough that I was able to separate “August 29th before I got on the plane” from “August 30th when I got off.” Basically that means that everything from when I woke up on Monday morning until I went to bed on Tuesday night felt like one really really long day. Needless to say, I was pretty jetlagged, and (dare I say it?) a tiny bit homesick for my family who is far away. But worry not! I did not wallow in self pity and exhaustion in my room all afternoon after I got to the hotel. Instead, I tagged along with a couple kids from my group to do some exploring! Cue pictures!

(Disclaimer: because the 30th was Serious Jetlag Day, I neglected to take any pictures of myself, except for two selfies. But more on that later.)




First of all, the Eiffel Tower was a necessity. It didn’t hurt that it was about a ten minute walk from our hotel. You can’t see, but there was a really cute little carousel at the foot of the Eiffel Tower, which I thought was excellent marketing, as there was a line of about a billion tourists to get on it.

Speaking of tourist traps: SO MANY random booths and places to buy things right off the street! There were like five little tents selling the exact same six choices of scarf, which was pretty funny, and also a stand with some of the cheapest-looking berets I have ever seen.

Anyway. Next!




Sometimes when you live in Paris, you just get to have random boxes of absolutely gorgeous flowers on your balcony. Because awesome.





The water in the Seine was really green, which was cool. I thought it was smaller than it is, also, so that’s a nice surprise. You can’t see because the lighting got messed up, but the Eiffel Tower is in the background too.




There were about five of these horsemen lined up at various points along our walk, and they looked super regal even though I didn’t know what they were supposed to represent. I hope to learn, though, so I won’t just be that annoying tourist that takes pictures of places without knowing their significance!

In the meantime, though, here are some more cute pictures I took without knowing their significance: Awesome obelisk and super ornate lamp post, featuring So Many Crazy Drivers:




This awesome Ferris Wheel:




Funny story with this one! As we were walking past it and into the Tuileries(I think), some people started shouting and all of a sudden literally hundreds of people started running in the opposite direction of where we were heading. So we were like UMM TERRORIST ATTACK?? But no, as it turned out they were just a bunch of teenage boys who wanted to get on the Ferris Wheel. Go figure.


We were going to go inside Le Musée des Orangeries, but it was closed on Tuesdays, grr. So we kept on walking (my feet were really starting to hurt at this point, and I felt like I was floating because of jet lag, but I was not going to be a wimp and turn back, darnit,) and found ourselves at the Louvre!
Check out those gardens! Tres magnifique.




 What was less magnifique, though, was the sunbathers. See them in the right corner, by the fountains? There were some young kids, some twenty-somethings hanging out on folding chairs—but there were also at least five Old Men without their shirts on. One of them had his pants pulled down a little—not like all the way, but enough that most of his underwear was visible. Ew.

Oh, gosh, but then. But then. There was an old man sunbathing. And I didn’t look at him all the way. But then I did, and the only reason I didn’t vomit and then die was that I was still pretty out of it because of jet lag.

Dad. He was wearing a speedo.

Oh my gosh, it was so horrific. Just no.

Anyway, we moved beyond that area and went over by the pyramids at the Louvre, and were heckled by not one, not two, but three different street vendors trying to sell selfie sticks and metal figurines of the Eiffel Tower. One of the vendors caught the hand of one of the guys in our group and started to weave a bracelet for him, and when the guy said he didn’t want it the vendor said, “I make it for your girlfriends! Hey sexy ladies!”

And since I had my hair in a bun and was wearing a girl’s camp t-shirt and decidedly not looking sexy, I couldn’t help but laugh.




Anyway, here’s another view of that Ferris wheel from far away, featuring Pigeon Man—this guy who has trained a bunch of pigeons to follow him and sit on people’s arms and stuff. It was pretty cool, until one of the pigeons bit this little kid’s ear hecka hard and he started screaming. So no homicidal squirrels yet, but I guess there were homicidal pigeons?




The Louvre is way, way, way, waaaaay bigger than I thought. Embarrassing side note: When I was really little, I thought the Louvre was just a fancy name for the pyramid thing, because that was the only part anybody ever took pictures of. It took me until age fifteen to realize that the fancy old buildings around it were part of the Louvre too. But, no joke—the building just goes on and on for probably a quarter mile on both sides, because it’s this fancy palace, and oh my gosh I can’t wait to go inside it.

There’s not much to tell after that; we went to a pizza place for dinner and I had pasta with salmon, only the salmon was surprisingly super salty. Try saying that five times fast. Then we went back to the hotel, and later on that night I went up to the eighth floor of the hotel and watched the Eiffel Tower’s lights sparkle and showed my mom and dad! No pictures of that this time, because I was using my phone to video call my parents.

Now, as I said, I only took two pictures with me in them on my first day in Paris because I had jetlag. But another reason why is because I don’t know how to take a selfie. Exhibit A:




I look really sad, but I’m not: I smiled at the camera but looked down before the picture itself actually took and, well, that happened. Here’s the other picture of me making an awkward pufferfish face to close out the day:




Well, that’s pretty much everything that happened to me on my first day! I was pretty exhausted, and didn’t get to write this up until the next day, but boy howdy am I excited to be here! :D

Okay, I can’t resist. Today you guys get to hear the theme from the 1995 movie Sabrina, composed by John Williams. It’s an American movie, but the heroine goes to live in Paris, so it counts, okay? Okay.





Hope your day is fabulous and sparkly! Tune in next time for more adventures, (plenty more pictures with me in them, Mom,) and possibly even more homicidal animals! À bientôt!





No comments:

Post a Comment